The Commissioner of Police in Lagos state, Olohundare Jimoh, has announced a significant reduction in major crimes across the state during his first year in office.
Speaking with journalists at the command headquarters in Ikeja on Tuesday, Jimoh, reviewing the command’s performance between February 18, 2025, and February 17, 2026, marking his first year at the helm of the Lagos State Police Command, attributed the achievement to intelligence-led policing, strengthened operational strategies, and enhanced community partnerships.
He said internal security remained stable throughout the period, with no major breaches of public peace, while civil protests were professionally managed without escalation.
“Those celebrating were provided security, and those protesting were equally protected. We ensured that no protest degenerated into violence, and incidents threatening critical infrastructure, such as the Third Mainland Bridge, were contained with minimum force,” he said.
The commissioner also reported a sharp decline in cultism and related violence, noting that previously notorious flashpoints in Oshodi, Ketu, Mushin, and Lagos Island are now under control. Several suspects linked to violent crimes were arrested, including a long-time gang leader who had been on the police watchlist for nearly two decades.
Jimoh disclosed that over 150 stolen vehicles were recovered within the year, with anti-car theft units established across area commands to address the menace.
Tactical squads were expanded from 23 to 35 units, now covering all local government areas, while intelligence and surveillance operations helped prevent opportunistic crimes.
To further bolster security, he said the Eko Strike Force was created to complement the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), with patrol vehicles and operational support provided through the Lagos State Government’s Security Trust Fund.
Jimoh emphasised the role of technology and community engagement in improving response times and strengthening public trust. He added that the command successfully secured high-profile national and international events, including ceremonies attended by governors, ministers, and foreign dignitaries.
“The command remains committed to protecting residents and visitors. We will continue to ensure that Lagos remains not only Nigeria’s economic hub but also a model of security and public safety,” he said.
He noted that the achievements underscore Lagos State’s status as one of the safest in Nigeria, despite its dense population and position as the nation’s commercial centre.
The commissioner lauded the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, for his support, and commended Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, for strengthening the command’s operational capacity with the donation of four patrol vehicles through the State Security Trust Fund, led by its Executive Secretary, Dr Ayo Ogunsan.
He also described the state’s control centres as “state-of-the-art,” vital for monitoring security across the state’s over 24 million population.
Jimoh further disclosed that the Federal Government, through the Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, supports the centres with a monthly allocation of N3 million for staff, distributed among Marine Police units, Federal Highway Patrol teams, and the control centres to sustain operations.




