Contrary to reports in sections of the media, the Federal Government has said no life was lost in the fire incident which occurred at the Federal Secretariat (Federal Ministry of Education Wing) last night.
Director Press, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr. Ben Bem Goong disclosed this in a statement he signed on Thursday, October 7, 2021.
TheFact Nigeria gathered that there had been rumours and report on the media that some staff lost their lives in the inferno.
Mr. Goong said two of the affected staff in the incident who were hospitalised at the Maitama General Hospital in Abuja were in stable condition and responding to treatment.
The statement further said, six Directors of the Mnistry who visited the victims at the Maitama General Hospital confirmed that the victims were not only coordinatng well but were also articulate in their speeches.
Commenting on the cause of the fire incident, the Director said, preliminary investigation indicated that the fire incident may have been caused by a power surge, resulting to a spark from an air conditioner, which ignited the fire.
However, a Committee has been constituted with a view to investigate and determine the actual cause of the fire and to recommend measures to be taken to prevent similar incidents in future.
On reports that two fire incidents occurred almost simultaneously at the Federal Secretariat, fueling speculations of sabotage, the Director said; the first incident occurred from an electrical malfunction of a car at the car park at the Federal Secretariat phase 1, adding that there was no Iink between the two incidents.
“Without prejudice to the work of the Committee, I would like to dispel speculations that there is an element of sabotage in the two incidents”, Goong said.