The Federal Government has constituted a team to renegotiate the agreement it had with the Academic Staff Union of Universities, (ASUU) in 2009.
This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Director Press and Public Relations, Federal Ministry of Education, Dr. Ben. Bem Goong.
TheFact Nigeria observed that the one month warning strike embarked upon by ASUU was already in the third week without much progress recorded.
Reconstituting the team, Education Minister, Adamu Adamu, said, there was need to speedily bring to conclusion, all outstanding issues in the 2009 agreement in order to achieve the desired industrial peace on our campuses.
The Chairman and Members of the reconstituted 2009 FGN/University-Based Unions Agreements Re-negotiation Team are:
1. Prof. Emeritus Nimi Briggs-(Pro-Chancellor, Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo) – Chairman
2. Arc. Lawrence Patrick Ngbale-(Pro-Chancellor, Federal University. Wukari -Member (North East)
3. Prof. Funmi Togunu-Bickersteth-(Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Birnin Kebbi) -Member (South West)
4. Sen. Chris Adighije- (Pro-Chancellor, Federal University. Lokoja -Member (South East).
5. Prof. Olu Obafemi -(Pro-Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Minna) – Member (North-Central).
6. Prof. Zubairu Iliyasu-(Pro-Chancellor, Kano State University of Science & Technology)-Member (North West)
7. Barr. Matthew B. Seiyefa, mni-(Pro-Chancellor, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island)-Member (South-South)
The statement said, the team would be inaugurated by the Minister on Monday, the 7th of March, 2022 at the Minister’s Conference room, headquarters of the Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja by 12 noon.
“All advisers and observers in the Federal Government/University based Unions 2009 agreements Re-negotiation Team are expected to attend the inauguration”, the statement said.