
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports suggesting that terrorists have established operational bases in Nigeria’s South-West region.
In a statement issued on Tuesday on behalf of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Olatunbosun Oluyede, insisted that the recent attack and abduction of pupils and staff in Oyo State was an isolated criminal act rather than evidence of an entrenched insurgent presence.
TheFact Daily had reported earlier today that panic broke out in an Oyo State community after terrified parents reportedly invaded a primary school and forcefully withdrew their children over rumours of a bandit attack in a nearby area.
The development comes amid growing insecurity and tension across parts of Oyo State following recent attacks on schools in the Ogbomoso axis, where gunmen abducted teachers and pupils from schools in Oriire Local Government Area.
Among those kidnapped was the principal of Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, Mrs. Rachael Alamu, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later reportedly killed by his captors.
General Oluyede expressed deep sympathy to the families of victims abducted during attacks on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
He described the abduction of innocent pupils and staff as “callous and reprehensible,” assuring Nigerians that troops were fully committed to securing the safe and unconditional release of all victims. He urged citizens to remain calm, united, and supportive of ongoing security operations.
The DHQ said intelligence assessments do not support claims that any permanent terrorist structure exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South-West, noting that the Armed Forces had previously conducted extensive clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park corridor, disrupting the activities of criminal elements operating in the area.
According to the military, while criminal groups may still attempt isolated attacks, such activities should not be misconstrued as the existence of a structured insurgency in the region. The DHQ cautioned against narratives capable of causing panic or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups.
The military further disclosed that troops are currently carrying out coordinated operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the South-West in pursuit of the abductors. It added that security forces recently made contact with the criminals and have since intensified search-and-rescue efforts.
The Armed Forces said operations are being conducted in collaboration with other security agencies, local vigilantes, and community members providing human intelligence, stressing that efforts would continue until all abducted victims are rescued and criminal networks responsible for the attacks are dismantled.




