The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has dissociated itself from regularisation fees being charged by some tertiary institutions in the country saying that it has not mandated any institution to collect such money on its behalf.
This was announced in a statement signed by the Board’s Head, Public Affairs and Protocol, Dr. Fabian Benjamin on Friday, November 5, 2021.
TheFact gathered that the announcement was coming on the heels of outcry recieved from parents and students who were exploited.
According to the statement, JAMB does not demand or accept any fee from those institutions.
It read: “The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has received complaints from some parents and students that one or two institutions are collecting money ranging from N10,000 to N80,000 from candidates purportedly for the processing of late or irregular admissions.
“The Board unequivocally dissociates itself from this exploitative act as it has not requested any institution to collect any fee on its behalf.
“It will be recalled that the Board had announced the stoppage of condonement of illegal admission( Deceitfully called Regularization) from 2017.
“This was to address the irregularities in the admission process, ensure the accuracy of admission statistics as well as ensure transparency in the admission process”, it read.
Dr. Fabian said the Management of the Board was shocked to receive the news of this exploitation, because admissions had been discontinued and a waiver given by the Board to such candidates in the past.
He wrote: “It was, therefore, a rude shock to the Management of the Board to receive the disheartening news of this barefaced exploitation of hapless and desperate students.
“It is to be borne in mind that these candidates are in their present predicament, in the first instance, as a result of the wanton disregard of extant regulations by some institutions leading to the conduct of underhand or backdoor admissions thus creating room for the avalanche of requests for condonement (Regularisation) which had long been discontinued by the Board on the directive of the Government.
“It was the seemingly hopeless situation of candidates seeking condonement that prompted the Hon. Minister of Education to graciously give approval for a final round of waiver or condonement.
“Meanwhile, the various submissions by each institution are being given necessary considerations before the affected candidates could be captured in the Board’s database”, Dr. Fabian wrote.
The JAMB PRO further announced that
candidates with similar challenges who were admitted before 2017 could go online and pay a fee of not more than N5000 for the UTME Registration form which they had failed to obtain initially.
He added that their details would afterwards be captured, scrutinised and if qualified then letters of admission would be released to them.
Dr. Benjamin said advertisement on the process and procedure for post 2017 infraction would soon be widely published.