Defence

NAF Denies Responsibility For Bugama Wellhead Explosion

By Anne Osemekeh, Abuja

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has denied reports by certain media outlets suggesting that it may have been responsible for the explosion at the NNPC wellhead in Buguma Community, Asari-Toru Local Government Area of Rivers State.

Related Articles

NAF’s Director Public Relations and Information, Air Vice Marshal Olusola Akinboyewa, on Monday categorically refuted the claim, describing it as false and unfounded.

A massive oil spill from a wellhead of Oil Mining Lease-15, a facility of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) had last week, ignited a fire affecting aquatic life in Buguma in the Asari-Toru Local Government Area of Rivers State. The spill, which is said to have affected Asari-Toru and the neighbouring Degema LGA of the state, had been raging for three days, spreading across the waterways, even as residents lamented that neither government agencies nor owners of the mine had visited the scene.

- Advertisement -

AVM Akinboyewa noted that contrary to the allegations made by the Buguma Community spokesperson, who speculated that the fire may have been caused by aging oil facilities, illegal oil bunkering, or NAF operations, the wellhead had been leaking crude oil due to prolonged illegal activities in the area.
Video recordings from previous missions confirm that the wellhead had been leaking for an extended period, resulting in the accumulation of gas and flammable liquids in the surrounding environment.

“The onboard camera system ensures transparency and accountability by capturing and documenting all activities, eliminating any possibility of indiscriminate firing at civilians or destroying assets, as falsely alleged”, he said.

Akinboyewa noted importantly that “the NAF ensures due diligence before engaging any target, so that only illegal refining sites and equipment are destroyed. The safety of innocent civilians and the protection of critical infrastructure remain a top priority for the Service”.

While urging media outlets to exercise due diligence by verifying facts before publishing rather than relying on assumptions, AVM Akinboyewa assured the public that the NAF remains steadfast in its mission to protect the nation’s critical infrastructure and combat crude oil theft, while upholding the highest standards of professionalism and respect for human life.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button