The Executive Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje has debunked the rumour of Coronavirus-related deaths and secret mass burials in the state.
Speaking on Politics Today, a programme on Channels Television, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, Ganduje said the information about unusual deaths or mass graves going viral on the social media platforms was not correct.
He however, confirmed that only 13 deaths were recorded and were not Coronavirus-related, saying that investigation was ongoing to ascertain the cause of deaths.
The governor noted that only one Coronavirus-related death was so far recorded in the state, as reported by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
He said: “I want to assure you that the information as portrayed by Daily Trust some few days ago is not correct because we undertook an investigation and the initial report that we received where they reported seventy (70) deaths, we found out that it was only thirteen (13) deaths in that place, we will soon get a complete report, I assure you the information is not correct.
“Only one death was recorded from Coronavirus. People die from different kinds of diseases, but what is important is confirmation to find out what is killing the people, whether they were taken to the hospital or not, but I can tell you there is no unusual graveyards or mass burials taking place in Kano,” he said.
Recall, report has it that no fewer than 40 corpses were buried since the declaration of the lockdown in the state, a report that was dismissed by governor Ganduje.