The Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has confirmed that the fire incident at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos was a result of an electrical spark at the baggage hall ceiling of the airport.
According to a statement by the FAAN’s Director of Public Affairs & Consumer Protection, Abdullahi Yakubu-Funtua, the fire started at about 7: 23 hours on Wednesday morning.
FAAN disclosed that the source of the smoke was identified as a burning lithium inverter battery installation in the basement.
The statement reads in full, ”at approximately 0723 hours this morning, a suspected electrical spark at the baggage hall ceiling caused the smoke incident that was reported at Terminal 1 of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, located in Ikeja, Lagos. The source of the smoke was identified as a burning lithium inverter battery installation in the basement.
“Promptly responding to the situation at 0730hrs the dedicated firefighters from the Aerodrome Rescue and Fire Fighting Services (ARFFS) of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport and the Electrical Department of the Authority initiated immediate action. Their swift response and professional efforts have successfully brought the situation under control.
“In accordance with our unwavering commitment to the safety and well-being of passengers, staff, and all airport users, the Terminal building was promptly evacuated due to the smoke that had permeated some areas of the facility.
“We are pleased to report that the situation is presently under control,” the statement stated.